Biomass is a sustainable alternative to waste disposal.
The global biomass market is expected to grow to 32-46 Mton by 2020 (from 20 Mton in 2014).
Biomass supply implies logistical challenges as sources and consumption sites are widely spread around the world.
Creating effective and competitive supply offers requires the expertise to develop integrated solutions, including sourcing and shipping, based on comprehensive industrial & financial capabilities.
- Benefit from our fully integrated biomass services. Reliable and carbon-neutral, biomass is not as readily-available to industrials and power plant operators as other power sources. That is why we offer end-to-end, competitive solutions that include biomass sourcing and trading, as well as freight and all logistics services required to guarantee your supply (such as port handling, storage, rail or barge operations.
- Get the freight expertise you need across the world You can rely on the know-how of our dedicated freight desk for sea and ocean freight, which features two fully-owned bulk carriers that can be complemented by additional shipping capacity on-demand. As such, we can satisfy your biomass needs around the world.
- Secure your supply with our wide variety of certified biomass. We draw from several suppliersworldwide and more than 10 biomass types (including wood pellets, chips, Palm Kernel Shells (PKS), Olive cakes, wood dust, recycled wood, and more), all of which are exclusively sourced according to strict sustainability criteria set by the Sustainable Biomass Program.
- Use our biomass solutions for your residential heating needs. Building on our international biomass business for industrials, we expanded into retail channels to provide you with a cost-effective and sustainable alternative to fuel-oil heating.
- Benefit from the best sustainable biomass and forest development standards.ENGIE is part of the Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP), which aims to promote the legal and sustainable use of woody biomass for energy purposes. This includes demanding criteria addressing sustainable forest management practices and the protection of environmental and social values.
In 2017, we signed a contract with Japanese conglomerate Mitsui & Co., Ltd. to secure the delivery of 4.2 million tons of wood pellets over a period of 15 years, starting in 2021. We provide an integrated service, from sourcing to shipping, with 75% of the wood pellets using sustainable fibre from FSC-certified and sustainably-managed forest plantations.
In 2015, we signed a contract with Japanese conglomerate Sumitomo Group providing for the delivery of 1 million tons of biomass delivered over a 10-year period.
Our commitment underpins our long-term support of the Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP), which aims to provide a certification system for economically, environmentally and socially sustainable wood biomass supply chains.